Friday 2 April 2010

Sorting out creative displays ready for the fairs.

I've been thinking the last couple of days on how to set out the Rag Rescue goods at the Lincolnshire Fair. Last October the whole fair moved from Swinderby where I stood inside a huge marquee. At Lincoln I decided that I needed more space and I wanted to be outside but under cover. I ended up inside a shopping arcade with a perfect spot just outside the main doors of the large Epic Centre. In December of last year they opened up the other hall at the end of the shopping arcades making a walk through for the customers. However the shopping arcades are long and narrow and I decided to have Rag Rescue on one side and the antiques on the other. It is easy to create height with antiques as I have lots of pictures and large objects but the Rag Rescue items all seem to be in flat boxes so that customers can sift through them. As April is one of the busiest fairs in the year I decided to put on my thinking cap and found in the garage an old shelving unit which had sometimes been used for the smaller antique pieces but discovered that it wasn't really suitable as it was rather unstable. I had put it away in the garage after it rocked with the weight and a pile of brass door knockers fell on my head whilst I was arranging the display. Yesterday it was painted  up and this morning I decided to have a trial run to see what and how I could display it.
What do you think?
I placed it on my working desk in my office as it is a similar height to the fair tables. It is the white one in the centre.
 
As the weather is a little warmer, I've decided to take some larger fabrics this time. I whole array of French and German 1930s floral fabrics.
As I only had three bags of vintage fabric scrappies left, I decided to make some more and as I am taking them to the fair first I decided to make scrappy parcels each with 20 pieces in for just £6.00
Vintage strip rolls and lovely old wooden silk wound French tassels in gold.
A beautiful antique child's bonnet and below a maids bonnet marked E. Couper c.1860 will stand proudly on the top of the shelves.
I also have a lovely long sari length to drape across the horrible plastic sides of the marquee and some costume pieces to hang up including a University of Cambridge cap and gown.
Well I must get on, no more playing as I must get the Rag Rescue, boxes, bags and tubs packed up so that I can do some housework, like hoovering and ironing. What clothes to take at this time of the year is always a difficult one, especially as at the moment the weather forecast for next week seems to be changing daily. Yesterday Lincoln weather was for heavy rain all week and now Mon, Tues and Wed. show no rain at all. I think I'll have to get everything ironed up both, wet weather clothes and dry weather reasonably cool clothes, just in case.

YOU WILL FIND ME (RAG RESCUE AND ODDITIES ANTIQUES)
ON MONDAY 6TH, TUESDAY 7TH AND WEDNESDAY 8TH APRIL
LINCOLNSHIRE SHOWGROUND
SHOPPING ARCADE 2
AND ON
THURSDAY 9TH AND FRIDAY 10TH APRIL
NEWARK SHOWGROUND

IF YOU ARE IN THE AREA THEN WHY NOT STOP BY ANY OR BOTH OF THESE FAIRS.

1 comment:

Dixie said...

How delightful to stop by your blog and find you "hoovering"! Instantly transported back to a time when my vocabulary didn't contain the word vacumn, I am still smiling.