Monday 15 June 2009

Freecycle - keeping items out of landfill


If you have looked at my website you will know that I am dedicated to keeping items out of landfill. I thought I would introduce you to 'Freecycle' It is a worldwide organisation dedicated to this cause.

'The Freecycle Network™ is made up of 4,767 groups with 6,883,000 members across the globe. It's a grassroots and entirely nonprofit movement of people who are giving (& getting) stuff for free in their own towns. It's all about reuse and keeping good stuff out of landfills. Each local group is moderated by a local volunteer (them's good people). Membership is free. To sign up, find your community by entering it into the search box above or by clicking on “Browse Groups” above the search box. '

We have had so many brilliant items from our group in Lancaster such as sofa's, carpets, storage boxes, bubble wrap, sets of drawers and even a Victorian mahogany mirror which sites proudly on my mahogany chest of drawers in the bedroom. We have also been able to give away an old bed, chairs and lots of unwanted items.

Why not look for your local group and see what you can find or give away your unwanted items.
We are lucky here in Lancaster as we also have a 'Swap shop' online.
Their motto is
"There's no such thing as junk, only stuff that hasn't found the right person"
My husband is going to pick up a set of plastic drawers tomorrow - free. Should be ideal for putting the trims in.

Have fun and reduce those mountains of landfills

2 comments:

ewa-christine said...

Thanks for the "idea" I took it to me!!

Sandie said...

Glad you liked the idea Christine. The more items we can keep out of landfill the better our world. I have never subscribed to the throw away society in which we now live hence my website.
Good luck on finding lots of free goodie on 'Freecycle'